Got a router question?
Fill in the form below.
Neuways Router FAQ
Router FAQ – This page may help you find all the answers to your router queries. Any further questions, please fill in our contact form.
A router connects attached devices, such as PCs, to the Internet.
Yes, if you intend to connect to the Internet and use email, the World Wide Web and other Internet-based services.
Many routers come with inbuilt firewalls, which is a security feature to restrict access in and out of the router’s network. A router is essentially a gateway to and from the Internet – not only can it connect your network to the outside world, if it isn’t secured correctly, it can let the outside world into your network.
Unfortunately, no. A firewall, whether it is built-in or separate to the router, must be properly configured by professionals to ensure your router is secure. Even after this is done there are still other attack vectors open to criminals that firewalls may not stop.
A critical part of ensuring a router is secure is keeping the firmware up to date. Firmware is the device-specific software that controls how the router works. Firmware can be flawed and present security holes to hackers – when these flaws are discovered, the manufacturer will release an update which should be enacted promptly.
Unfortunately, no. Updating firmware can cause problems itself due to technical issues. From time to time, firewalls my cause problems by blocking legitimate access to and from your network. In either situation, this can lead to downtime required to fix the problems. Whenever you are considering any kind of router maintenance, make a contingency plan in the event of any problems, and take a backup of the router configuration in case you need to restore it to a previous working state.
- “We have worked in partnership for many years with Smarterways and this continues now with Neuways. The additional server we recently purchased has undoubtedly improved processes across multiple sites in our business. From specification through to install, our needs have been met once again by their expertise and knowledge. Special thanks to all those involved.”
- “Neuways act as an external IT manager for WMS, providing a consistently great service for all of our IT requirements.”
- “Neuways moved our network servers, phone exchange and 30 users to our new offices over the weekend – after a lot of planning, the move went flawlessly – we switched off our computers on Friday at 4.30pm and started work on Monday morning at 7.30am without a single second of downtime.”
- “We praise the Neuways technical team, our IT is working well for us and Neuways support has helped free up a lot of our time.”
Specialist Tiling Supplies
- “Neuways have taken the time to gain a greater understanding of our business requirements. This has enabled them to implement immediate IT improvements as well as advising on longer term strategies. Our dedicated Neuways account manager and technicians collaborate with us and share their knowledge and experience to provide responsive tailored solutions.”
- “For years we’ve used Neuways and could not be happier. Good quality service with fast resolve times and excellent management. The dedication to system improvements and training of the technicians is outstanding. I would give these guys a five-star rating.”